I love gyros!!!! I was a little skeptical when these called for ground lamb, since I'm used to the sliced, but these were pretty good. I got this recipe from an old Everyday with Rachael Ray. It was a quick and easy weeknight dinner that everyone enjoyed.
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/4 cup mayo
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
salt and pepper
1 1/4 lb. ground lamb
1 slice of bread, finely crumbled in food processor
2 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 T. EVOO
2 poblano chiles, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat oven to 350. Combine the yogurt, mayo, and 1/4 tsp ginger, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine lamb, bread, 1 1/2 tsp. cumin and remaining 1/2 tsp. of ginger; season with salt and pepper. Form into 4 1-inch patties. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the patties until just firm, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, add the poblanos, onion, garlic and remaining 1 tsp. cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium- low heat until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Wrap pita in foil and keep warm in oven.
- Chop up the lab patties and add to the pan, increasing the heat to medium high. Cook the vegetables until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Top warm pita with yogurt sauce and lamb mixture.
THE VERDICT: The only thing I might do next time is add some diced cucumber to the yogurt dip. We also added hummus to our pitas and it was delish.