Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Paula Deen's Red Potato Salad

Before you gasp.....There is only 1 Tablespoon of mayo in this!   I don't usually make Paula Deen recipes due to the fat content, but this recipe caught my eye, and I had all the ingredients in the pantry for it.  It turned out to have wonderful flavor without all the mayo of a normal potato salad.  I found this recipe in the most current issue of Food Network Magazine.


6 cups cubed red skin potatoes, unpeeled
salt
2 strips of bacon (I used center cut...mmm!)
1 cup chopped bell pepper ( I only had green, but a color combo would make this dish POP)
1/4 cup minced red onion
2 scallions, sliced
1/4 cup EVOO
3 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. dijon mustard
1 T. Mayo ( you really have to try the Kraft Olive Oil Mayo)
fresh ground pepper

  1. Put potatoes in a large pot; add water to cover and season with 3/4 tsp salt.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.  Drain and cool slightly.
  2. Meanwhile cook bacon in a large skillet until crispy.  Drain on paper towels, and finely chop.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, chopped bacon, bell pepper, onion, and scallions.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, mayo, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.  Pour over the potato mixture, tossing gently to coat.  Cover and refrigerate or serve at room temp.
THE VERDICT:  Loved it, not as good as my mom's recipe, of course, but still great.  I only had one complaint from the hubs, who only like mashed potatoes, so I told him just to mash them on his plate!! 


1 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Oh this looks like a fantastic salad for the summer!