3 cups water
1/4 tsp. salt
8 black peppercorns
1 onion, quartered
1 bay leaf
1 lb. skinless chicken breast halves
3/4 cup monterey jack, shredded, divided
3/4 cup reduced fat cheddar, shredded, divided
1/2 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup skim milk
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup egg substitute
1/8 tsp. salt
1 11oz. can tomatillos, drained (I can only find crushed in the can)
1 4.5 oz. can diced green chiles, undrained
corn tortillas (6-inch)
low fat sour cream
- To prepare filling, place first 6 ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat; simmer 45 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; cool. Remove chicken from bones and shred with two forks. Discard bones. Reserve broth for another use. (yay free broth!)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine shredded chicken, 1/2 cup monterey jack and cheddar cheeses, and 1/2 cup chopped onion in a bowl; set aside.
- To prepare sauce, place milk and next 5 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth.
- To prepare tortillas, fill a medium skillet with 1 inch of water; bring to a simmer. Dip 1 tortilla in water using tongs. Leave for a couple seconds; then remove. Spoon 1/2 cup filling in center of each tortilla. Roll tightly, and place in an 11X7 inch baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Pour sauce over enchiladas. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with 1/4 cup each monterey jack and cheddar. Bake additional 5 minutes or until cheeses melt. Top with sour cream.
THE VERDICT: They are gone! That is one indication that they are good!
Per Serving: 502 calories! That is 2 enchiladas and trust me that is a lot of food!